|1 ||Work package number: ||WP5 |
|2 ||Work package title: ||3D printed optimized metal deployable structures to address humanitarian crisis |
|3 ||Starting Month: ||13/48 |
|4 ||Lead Beneficiary: ||NTUA |
|5 ||Objectives: ||This WP aims to design scissor-hinged deployable structures that will exploit AM techniques for the fabrication of their members and connections, thus achieving short fabrication times, to respond quickly to urgent sheltering needs in times of humanitarian crises, such as the current corona-virus pandemic. Tent-type structures commonly used for this purpose suffer serious disadvantages in terms of speed/ease of erection as well as durability. |
|6 ||Description of Work: || |
The development of novel deployable structures will be achieved by four distinctive Tasks:
- Task 5.1 Optimized design of deployable shelters for disaster relief: This task will comprise: (i) Identification of suitable geometry and design criteria for deployable shelters for disaster relief. (ii) Structural design and member optimization. (iii) Connection optimization. (iv) Detailed design of prototype shelter (Lead by NTUA).
- Task 5.2 Case Study: 3D printing and testing of scaled prototype deployable shelter: (i) The prototype shelter designed in task 5.1 will be 3D printed in appropriate scale for demonstration as well as testing purposes. (ii) The scaled model will be tested in the Laboratory of NTUA’s Institute of Steel Structures. (iii) The associated numerical model will be calibrated (Lead by NTUA).
- Task 5.3 Typical designs of deployable shelters for disaster relief: A range of typical designs of deployable shelters for various applications related to disaster relief will be prepared (Lead by NTUA).
- Task 5.4 Integration of working joints or movable features on PBF-LB printed components: This task is based on the implementation of moving features within 3D printed components manufactured through PBF-LB technology, (Lead by IDONIAL).
- Task 5.5 Design and development of embedded sensors for safety assessment of deployable space scissor-based and origami structures: Sensors will embed in appropriate positions-members and also develop a software tool that will create the structure’s baseline and perform a quick assessment every time it is assembled and set out for use, (Lead by STRUCTURES & SENSORS).